Wednesday, June 22, 2011

When you let the kids choose

As we do every Tuesday, the kids and I visited the library. I have a few books at home still and I have several books in transit so I didn't need to find much but I needed 2-3 fictions to tide me over. I wasn't motivated to look around, though. I grabbed one book from a display rack and then told the kids to each pick out one book for me.

Just like the day I let them pick out something at the grocery store, I was amused by their choices.

Ike was back first. It took him all of 2 seconds to announce, "I saw a book you will love!" and tear off down an aisle, only to return 5 seconds later with this. Yep. A Star Wars book. I don't mind sci fi...but Star Wars?! According to the cover, Luke Skywalker is married. I think I saw one or two of the movies many, many years ago but I didn't realize he was married. Give me a day or two and I'll let you know how their relationship is working out. ;-)

Ana headed down the youth fiction aisle and I was hopeful. There are several Harry Potter-like book series and she had been perusing them earlier. Seemed like I had hope of something better than Star Wars. And then she came back with this. A graphic novel about a witch who might be 8 or 9 years old. *laugh* Turns out that it was a cute read and it's part of a series. I think I'll request the others from the library because Ana would really enjoy them.

The upside of letting them choose my books is that Ike was wandering the library and was actually interested. And when Ana turned in her weekly books and claimed a prize, he was hooked. I cannot believe I am saying this but Ike checked out twelve books yesterday. Ana does this every week (she's prize-motivated and the Book Bingo game takes 12 books to complete, which means she checks out and reads 12 books every week in order to maximize her prize count) but Ike has never cared. Even more shocking - he has finished 2 of them and started on a 3rd! This one is almost 100 pages and it's text heavy but he is still reading it. Every word! I've waited years for this moment. Forcing my way through a Star Wars book suddenly seems like a small price :)

3 comments:

Blessed said...

oh, my goodness. that Star Wars book sounds TERRIBLE. (giggle) I actually love the original trilogy, and we listened to the Star Wars audio on our trip to CO this past Christmas, and the girls really enjoyed it, so we then watched the movie together. (The others will wait until they are older, and episodes 1, 2 and 3, the new ones, will have to wait even longer than that--not my favorites). But I am a purist by heart, and can't STAND anyone messing with my sentimental favorites. Uh, uh!

But I love how you ended this post--that it was worth it to see Ike so happy reading!

I admit it--I would read the book too, and be glad. : )

Jessica said...

Yay for 12 books. But boo for the Star Wars one.

Stacy said...

He's now finished SEVEN of them. This is a record, people. SEVEN. If I knew that he would respond this well to bribery, I would have stocked up on cheap prizes earlier! I offer rewards (bribes) to Ana for her pump changes at the rate of 5 changes = 1 prize so it's 2-3 a month. I think I'll offer a prize per chapter book to Ike. I think he could get 2 done a month.

I never thought about audio for Star Wars. I'll look into that because Ike's friends are into Star Wars and this would be a good way to introduce the story. Thanks for the idea, Blessed!

And, Twins, I completely agree. I have read 4 pages so far. I enjoy sci fi but this one jumps right into a story I don't know so it's hard to figure out. I think there have been 20 characters mentioned already and I am lost. I need to buckle down and finish it :)