Monday, July 11, 2011

Long time no chat

Still here :) I actually had something I wanted to blog about...until I sat down. At which point I completely forgot the point.

Ah, well....  Instead of something interesting you can just read an update on our lives :)

Ana is getting her tonsils removed next month. It's something I've debated for years but the diabetes had me worried. Once we had her on the pump, I was less nervous, but then her strep episodes slowed down so much I wondered if maybe we'd get through it. For us, it isn't the number of cases as much as the impact they have on her. She gets so sick, so quickly. Add in her naturally over-sized tonsils certainly don't help! And when she gets sick the penicillin allergy makes treatment hard. Talked to the surgeon last month and we're all set. We'll  have the first appointment of the day (thanks, Diabetes ;) ) and she gets to spend the night in the hospital. This was a a very fervent wish as Ike has been in the hospital before and she was apparently moved to intense jealousy over this. Hey, whatever it takes!

Ike is officially ADHD. We start meds this week. The script was written tonight, we'll pick it up tomorrow and his first dose will be Wednesday morning. We're starting with a 10 day supply as I'm not sure we'll be able to get capsules into him. *fingers crossed* If not, we'll start with a patch and see what happens. It was a very interesting visit as the doctor talked to me about hypersensitivity and sensory processing disorders. Ike is incredibly hypersensitive and the somatic complaints section of the ADHD evaluation support it. Something to consider. The doctor's daughter is in therapy for it right now and he commented that Ike reminds him so much of his daughter.

I'm three days away from Harry Potter 7, Part 2! We're doing a double feature and watching part 1 at 9:00 and part 2 at midnight. The theater recommended we be there at 7:00 to wait in line for our seats so we'll be there about 7 hours. Ike and DJ think we're crazy so they'll be home and comfy, while I'll be in line and in crowded theaters with Ana. I'm already dreading the bathroom breaks this is going to take. I did find a neat gadget I'm getting for the wait though - folding camp stools! So awesome for long lines!  Oh, and I also have molds for chocolate frogs on the way! We're having Harry Potter candy during the movie ;)


That's about it for my world :)  Talk to you later!

2 comments:

HeatherAnne said...

Wow...sounds like a bunch of full days! I hope Ana's surgery goes well and that she comes through taking in the entire experience with a great story to tell! :) And that healing is quick and complete. :)

So ADHD...with possible SPD. I am glad that you have some answers and that you found a doctor that sees Ike as "your son" and not another "patient". :) Hopefully the meds will work well for him and you will see results. It may take a while to find just the right thing but I know you are on top of such things. Sometimes it just helps to have an answer so you can read up and understand to best help.

Enjoy the movies! :)

Thrift Store Mama said...

Hope Ana's surgery goes well. I remember desperately wanting to be in the hospital when I was around 10. Glad you have some answers and a game plan for Ike. Interesting how something you've wondered about for a while (the SPD) was confirmed.