Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shock and awe

This afternoon, I told Ike it was time for chores. He stopped what he was doing, came into the living room and said, "Okay."

This morning, I came downstairs and Ike had everything on his morning list done. Everything.  Before I had said a single word.

Yesterday, Ike sat at the dinner table. Not perched, not hovered, not tipping, not fidgeting. He sat. For the entire meal. And he didn't complain. Not once.

Over the weekend, he didn't dawdle and make me late. He brought things to keep him occupied in the car, without me reminding him. He laughed and chatted with Ana for hours. He happily played with friends.

Oh, and he has been caught reading. For fun. Completely unprompted, just hanging out with a book, reading.

He's still fun. He still cracks us up with his wit. He still sings and dances. He says he doesn't feel any different.

He's been on an ADHD med for almost a week. I feel like he can finally show off his positives without people being distracted by his behavior. He's happy, he's calmer, he's still just as amazing as ever.

I feel like this is the best thing I have ever done for him. I've given him focus and in less than a week it's already impacting him in such a positive way.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I am very happy for Ike and your family! God bless you all!